Part I - The old fashioned core profile module way
On several large projects, I have already used various approaches to themeable, browseable, and easily editable social networking profiles.
About a year and a half ago, I used the core profile module, and themed it as per the Customising the user profile Drupal handbooks article. (See also Fun with user_profile.tpl.php - stuff for My Space or Friendster like customizable profile).
The aim of this article is to run through the procedure I have used to test the Salesforce module on Drupal 5.1, availing ourselves of the 5.x-1.x-dev version I have recently committed.
First of all you will need a Salesforce developer account (unless you are going to test on another valid Salesforce account). Follow the instructions outlined in this awebfactory Salesforce article.
Well, the first step was to set up a fresh Drupal 5.x (5.3) install.
Then, enabled core contact and profile modules (required by legacy salesforce module).
Then, copied 4.7 salesforce module into ./sites/all/modules, and edited salesforce.module and salesforce.install so that the function module_exist() became module_exists().
Then, enabled salesforce module. Install went ahead with the usual success messages (created tables, created profile fields).
Profile fields were created.
After some trial and error, I found that in order to download a module from CVS without all those pesky CVS subdirectories everywhere, you can use the export command instead of the checkout command, providing I have logged in with my cvs account:
Instructions for using the fabulous Google Custom Search Engine module.